Women between the ages of 39-53 who are struggling with anxiety, depression, high stress, diminishing libido, depleted energy, and sleep deprivation amongst other emotional fluctuations, don't realize it probably isn't them! Perimenopause is the stage in a woman’s life preceding menopause in which hormonal changes are already at work, causing a host of emotional and psychological fluctuations. While everyone knows about the “big change” many do not know that menopause, surprisingly, is the calm after the storm.
This year approximately 60 million American women will be between the ages of thirty-nine and fifty-three and most of these women will be perimenopausal, which will not only affect them but their spouses, children, and loved ones, too. By understanding what to expect, women and their families will enter this life-changing transition with confidence and the knowledge that the impending emotional rollercoaster can be handled with proper treatments.
Developmental psychologist and women’s mental health expert Deborah R. Wagner, Ph.D. has studied perimenopause for years, working closely with women to assist them through the four psychological stages. She has created a roadmap for women and their loved ones to follow when undergoing this stage in the unavoidable menopausal transitions in her new book, The Fifth Decade, and is educating women (and their loved ones!) everywhere on how to prepare for the unexpected emotional rollercoaster that is perimenopause.
For an informative women’s health feature that will benefit your audience, Dr. Wagner can discuss:
- Perimenopause—what it is, how it effects women’s mental health, and different forms of psychological treatment
- The increased risk of thyroid disease among perimenopausal women and the emotional, cognitive, and physical symptoms to look out for
- Tips for men to understand perimenopause and how it will affect their partners and themselves
- The four psychological stages of perimenopause with tips to navigate each phase
- Tips to maintain personal wellbeing and confidence while transitioning through the biggest change to your body since puberty
The book is available for purchase on Amazon.com