In celebration of Earth Day, April 22nd, here is a quick “green” recipe that will help you eat cleaner and greener right from your own kitchen.
When cooking a preservative-free authentically “green” dish, stick to simplicity with a colorful medley of fruits and veggies like those in IMUSA’s recipe for Veggies with Pineapple Sweet & Sour Dipping Sauce, and a basic tool to steam them with. Using a traditional woven and multi-layered IMUSA Asian Bamboo Steamer not only serves up a delicious meal chock full of natural flavors, but it provides the purest way to prepare food. One taste and you’ll want to recycle this recipe over and over again.
Bamboo products are great Green products to use in any kitchen. The bamboo steamer used in the following recipe can be found here.
- vegetables like carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, sugar snap peas, and turnips
- ice water 1 tablespoon
- cornstarch 1 tablespoon
- can of pineapple chunks (1) 20 ounce
- vinegar ¼ cup
- sugar 1 tablespoon
- salt 1 teaspoon
1. Place vegetables inside the IMUSA steamer baskets and bring 2 cups of water to boil in a wok or medium saucepan.
2. To make dipping sauce, in a small bowl or cup add ice water and cornstarch and mix until fully dissolved. Set aside.
3. Remove juice of canned pineapple, about ¾ cup, and place in a small saucepan. Reserve pineapple chunks for other use.
4. Add vinegar, sugar and salt to saucepan and heat on medium high, whisking frequently.
5. Once simmering, drizzle in cornstarch mixture and whisk briskly until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and pour dipping sauce in a bowl.
6. To steam the vegetables, place steamer baskets with veggies on wok or saucepan and steam for 4-5 minutes.
7. Remove immediately and serve with sweet and sour dipping sauce.
Published on Apr 22, 2013