The Visceral Company is proud to present the Los Angeles premiere of LOVECRAFT: NIGHTMARE SUITE, featuring six strange tales of monsters, mayhem, and cosmic horrors brought to life through a combination of storytelling, puppetry, and shadow play. All text is taken directly from the short fiction, essays, and poetry of the godfather of modern horror, H.P. Lovecraft.
Conceived and directed by Dan Spurgeon (Visceral’s Artistic Director and 2013 LA Weekly Theater Award winner), LOVECRAFT: NIGHTMARE SUITE previously had a successful 2003 off-off-Broadway run in New York. At that time, it was among the first – if not the first – fully realized and produced theatrical adaptations of Lovecraft’s work utilizing all elements of stagecraft.
LOVECRAFT: NIGHTMARE SUITE features performances of six classic Lovecraft stories:
- The Statement of Randolph Carter. An archaeologist unearths an unspeakable horror while exploring a crypt.
- The Cats of Ulthar. In an ancient land, a young boy’s prayers are answered after his beloved kitten goes missing.
- The Outsider. A lonely individual decides to break free of a dark forest in search of human contact.
- The Picture in the House. A young man seeking shelter from a storm discovers a book with disturbing engravings.
- Cool Air. A rooming house boarder meets a reclusive doctor obsessed with cheating death.
- Nyarlathotep. One of the Outer Gods manifests and unleashes horrific visions on humanity.
The Visceral Company, recently called “LA’s premiere horror theatre troupe” by Fangoria magazine, is dedicated to presenting killer shows from darker places. "We hope to encourage further onstage exploration of the horror, thriller and science fiction genres, which have been underrepresented in theatre, and to build an appreciation of theatre in the younger audiences that are traditionally drawn to them."
LOVECRAFT: NIGHTMARE SUITE will play Friday and Saturday evenings at 8 pm and Sunday matinees at 3 pm, from September 27 through November 3, 2013, at the Lex Theatre, 6760 Lexington Ave., Hollywood, CA.
Official opening night is Friday, October 4. Tickets are $20 for all performances and are available at www.brownpapertickets.com/event/467068 or www.plays411.com/lovecraft. For information go to: www.thevisceralcompany.com. There are special preview performances September 27 and 29 with all tickets just $12.
Parental guidance is recommended for young children.
Published on Sep 24, 2013