Indeed, this has been a "Sweet 16" year for Dances With Films! Having expanded the festival to 11 days, we not only sold out more screenings than any year ever or had more attendees at our Powerhouse Panels and Cocktail & Conversations, but more films got picked up for distribution than EVER! A sweet reward for our defiantly original, uniquely inspired filmmakers.
GRAND JURY AWARD | COMPETITION FEATURES
WINNER: COYOTE - Writer/Dir/Prod: Joe Eddy
***Winner Receives Distribution with Gravitas Ventures***
GRAND JURY AWARD | COMPETITION SHORTS
WINNER: VARMINT - Director: Joel Knoernschild
AUDIENCE AWARD | COMPETITION FEATURES: CEMENT SUITCASE - Writer/Dir: J. Rick Castaneda
AUDIENCE AWARD | FUSION FEATURES: CALIFORNIA WINTER - Writer/Dir: Odin Ozdil
AUDIENCE AWARD | DOCUMENTARY FEATURES: MILE...MILE & A HALF - Directors: Jason Fitzpatrick, Ric Serena
AUDIENCE AWARD | COMPETITION SHORTS: BARBIE BOY - Director: Nick Corporon
AUDIENCE AWARD | FUSION SHORTS: UNORTHODOX - Director: Patrick Waismann
AUDIENCE AWARD | MUSIC VIDEO: MOVING OUT - Writer/Dir: Sean McCarthy
ICA | INDUSTRY CHOICE AWARD
WINNER: HOME - Writer/Dir: Jono Oliver
For its 3nd year, DWF gives an ICA (Industry Choice Award) to a filmmaker juried by this years industry luminaries Steven Wegner (THE BLIND SIDE/Alcon Entertainment), Cindy Cowan (TRAFFIC, Cindy Cowan Entertainment), Mike Macari (THE RING I & II, Macari/Edelstein).
“Indie paradise…with some extraordinary films.” –Terra King, Examiner.com
"Here you will find more genuinely encouraging vital signs from the American independent film movement than could be detected in all of Park City." --LA Weekly
DWF16 DISTRIBUTION NEWS
1. Midnight Feature AMERICAN IDIOTS has been picked up for domestic distribution by LIONSGATE!
2. HorrorShow Inc. and Shooting Creek Films are proud to announce the critically acclaimed psycho-horror HOUSE OF GOOD AND EVIL(in Dances With Films' Fusion Section) has been picked up for worldwide distribution. Phase 4 Films has picked up North American rights, while horror-centric Acort International will be handling foreign. The film will be released October 1st this year. www.facebook.com/HouseOfGoodAndEvilFilm
Synop: After a family tragedy in the chaotic city, Chris and Maggie Conley, in a last-ditch effort to save their dying marriage, purchase an isolated home in the deepest woods, to which they quickly discover evil has a key. Attached is the release from Cannes when Acort Int, took on the film.
3. Less than 24 hours after its World Premiere, Fusion Section film THE INSOMNIAC accepted a distribution deal from Grand Entertainment (ran by former Senior VP Sales of Image Entertainment and Lions Gate) for all ancillary rights including DVD, VOD, digital, and TV.
4. The Fusion Section film CALIFORNIA WINTER has been picked up for distribution with Green Apple Entertainment has acquired all North American rights to the heartwarming family drama CALIFORNIA WINTER, making its world premiere June 7th in the Fusion section at the 16th annual Dances With Films film festival in Hollywood, California. See attached Release for California Winter
5. The Fusion Section film FAVOR does a deal with Tugg to do theatrical bookings starting this summer. See attached Release for Favor
6. Competition Short film, OF TEACHING KILLER WHALES COMPASSION, has signed a DVD and VOD distribution deal with Spiritual Cinema Circle.
7. The Competition Section film DOWN AND DANGEROUS, has signed on with Rogue Arts (partnered with Fairway Film Alliance) for int'l sales.
“Rising interest from auds and burgeoning filmmakers has brought Dances With Films to the attention of Hollywood, including CAA and ICM. The fest has hooked high-profile industryites as panelists and jurors...helping link new filmmakers with connected industry members"--Eddie Kim, Variety
ALUMNI: A festival known for championing the unknowns, DWF Alumni filmmakers include: Dan Harris (X2, SUPERMAN RETURNS writer), Mark Olsen & Will Scheffer (BIG LOVE creators and the new HBO show GETTING ON), Hilton Smith (HBO's HUNG and DEADWOOD producer), Lauren Meows (CABIN FEVER producer), Donovan Cook (Disney TV and Feature Animation director) and Aaron Downing (HESHER co-producer).
And for "discovering tomorrow's stars today", DWF's Alumni actors include: Jesse Eisenberg (THE SOCIAL NETWORK), Melissa Leo (2010 Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in THE FIGHER), John Hawkes (2x Oscar Nominee for WINTER'S BONE and SESSIONS), Ellen Pompeo (GREY'S ANATOMY), Bryan Cranston (3x Emmy Winner for BREAKING BAD), Kathryn Morris (CBS's Cold Case), Alexander Skarsgard (TRUE BLOOD), Dianna Agron (GLEE) and Margo Martindale (2011Emmy for Best Supporting Actress in JUSTIFIED).
SPONSORS: Dances With Films would like to welcome its newest sponsor Movietickets.com, Gravitas Ventures, Breakdown Services, Ease Entertainment Services as well as the Loews Hollywood Hotel. Returning sponsors include: CAA, ICM, The Lot, SagIndie, Final Draft, Movie Magic, VER, KPFK, Level 3, Lucky Strike, Southern Wine & Spirits and Audio Rents.
ADVISORY BOARD: Cindy Cowan, Jonathan Dana, Kevin Kasha, Eriq La Salle, Michael Lehman, Mike Macari, Valeria McCaffrey, Mark Ordesky, Will Scheffer, Mark V. Olsen, Hilton Smith and Steve Wegner
MISSION: With over 8000+ festival attendees plus 2.5 million impressions per month on www.danceswithfilms.com, Dances With Films started humbly in 1998, designed as a film festival dedicated to finding tomorrow’s talent today. By choosing films based solely on merit and discoverability, DWF remains the most devoted champion of fresh and creative voices. For the past sixteen years, DWF has proudly provided access and opportunity to the hundreds, if not thousands, of films and filmmakers - from Hoboken, NJ to Xiang, China - that fight year after year to see their dreams realized. Giving these warriors the exposure that their talent, drive, and sacrifice deserve is what DANCES WITH FILMS has always been about and our belief in our filmmakers is rewarded year after year. DWF remains the indie heartbeat of Hollywood.
Published on Jun 20, 2013