LOS ANGELES – Amtrak presents the 5th Annual National Train Day, a celebration of trains and the different ways trains touch the lives of people around the country, on Saturday, May 12, 2012 from 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. at Union Station. The event will feature live entertainment, interactive exhibits, culinary demonstrations, kids‟ activities, model trains, tours of Amtrak, freight and commuter trains, and private railroad cars.
“Trains have always been an important part of America’s transportation legacy, and Amtrak has been America‟s Railroad for 40 years. This past year, we had a record-breaking 30 million passengers enjoying the journey on our trains, and this year’s National Train Day will celebrate the unique excitement and inspiration train travel offers,” said Emmett Fremaux, Amtrak Vice President, Marketing and Product Development. National Train Day Activities and Exhibits .
National Train Day marks the 143rd anniversary of the creation of the nation’s first transcontinental railroad. On May 10, 1869, in Promontory Summit, Utah, the “golden spike” was driven into the final tie that joined 1,776 miles of the Central Pacific and Union Pacific railways, forever transforming America. The celebration at Union Station will include a wide array of family-friendly activities including:
- Train Equipment Displays: Walk through privately owned, luxury railcars. Explore commuter displays, rail passenger services and freight equipment displays showing how “green” locomotives transform the nation’s freight fleet.
- Kids Depot: Bring the kids and let them build, explore and compete for surprise
- giveaways happening all day long at the All Aboard Explorers’ kids zone.
- Model Train Displays: Take a closer look at the miniature masterpieces and marvel at the wonder of the model train displays that will be featured on-site at National Train Day.
- K-9 Unit Demonstrations: Interact with Amtrak Security K-9 Units, one of the largest programs in the United States.
- Amtrak High Speed Rail Display: Explore the future of high speed rail travel.
- Amtrak Culinary Experience: Enjoy live cooking demonstrations by Amtrak celebrity chefs and taste free samples of regional culinary specialties.
- See More Store: Take home a print, a t-shirt, and other memorabilia that will remind us to see more, do more, live more from the passenger seat of a train.
National Train Day will bring the “rail way‟ to life for attendees, and those participating online and through social media. To join in the celebration, passengers inspired by their train travel experience are encouraged to submit photos, video and stories at NationalTrainDay.com, facebook.com/NationalTrainDay or @natltrainday for a chance to win prizes.
Celebrating 40 years of dedicated service as America’s Railroad® Amtrak is the nation’s intercity passenger rail provider and its only high-speed rail operator. A record 30.2 million passengers traveled on Amtrak in FY 2011 on more than 300 daily trains – at speeds up to 150 mph (241 kph) – that connect 46 states, the District of Columbia and three Canadian Provinces. Amtrak operates trains in partnership with 15 states and four commuter rail agencies.
Enjoy the journeySM at Amtrak.com or call 800-USA-RAIL for schedules, fares and more information.