AFINGO.com's Behind the Seams Fashion Industry Forum
Date: November 20, 2010
Fashion-oriented individuals gain the opportunity to delve into the fashion industry through the eyes and experiences of expert panelists at AFINGO.com’s Behind the Seams Fashion Industry Forum on Nov. 20 in Los Angeles.
Behind the Seams is a veritable “how-to” for attendees, benefitting from panelists including top designers, retailers, multi-media fashion journalists, and celebrity tastemakers. Attendees gain critical insights and hard-won wisdom from success stories and icon through four panels on timely topics, as well as valuable networking with both the panelists and one another.
(9:00 AM) MARKETING 2.0
As consumers become increasingly deluged with Social Media-driven information, professionals will demystify the process of breaking through the clutter in order to create, market and sell in the age of new media.
• Emily S. Heintz, Business Development Director, California Fashion Association (Moderator)
• Karalynn Sprouse, Vice President of Sales, MAGIC
• Kaylene Peoples, Founder and Editor in Chief, Agenda Magazine
• Macala Wright Lee, CEO & Founder, Fashionably Digital
• Rikk Galvan, CEO and Founder of ShareYourself Media
• Merle Ginsberg, Author & Freelance Fashion Journalist, Harper’s Bazaar, W, WWD, etc.
(10:30 AM) TREND FORECASTING
Experts will give their insights and discuss the “science” of spotting the next big thing, and how to tap into the zeitgeist in order to predict what the consumer will want before they know they want it.
• Michael Segal, CEO, Fred Segal (Moderator)
• Kate Mulling, LA Editor, Refinery 29
• Shane Cisneros, Celebrity & Editorial Fashion Stylist
• Erin Weinger, Publisher, Style Section L.A.
• Fran Sude, Founder, Design Options
(12.30 PM) SUSTAINABILITY: BUSINESS AS USUAL
Eco-friendly fashion specialists will discuss whether “going green” is just another trend or a necessary, fundamental shift in how the industry works, as well as how to make the change at a level that is more than skin-deep.
• Susanne Schick, Founder of Sustainable Fashion LA (Moderator)
• Raissa Gerona, Designer, Brigid Catiis
• Dale Denkensohn, Founder & President, econscious
• Jason Kibbey, CEO & Founder, PACT
• M.J. Prest, Editor-in-Chief & Founder, EthicalStyle.com
• Anna Griffin, Editor-in-Chief & Founder, Coco Eco Magazine
(2:15 PM) READY TO LAUNCH YOUR LINE?
Top designers and retailers will share their stories and give practical advice on how to effectively make the leap from sketch to sales, including how to avoid dangerous pit-falls to position a line for success.
• Liza Deyrmenjian, CEO & Co-Founder, Afingo.com (Moderator)
• Cameron Silver, Founder & Creative Director, Decades Denim
• Courtney Rotolo, Buyer for American Rag
• Tiffany Tuttle, Founder, LD Tuttle
• Corinne Grassini, Founder & Designer, Society for Rational Dress
• Gillian Munro, Buyer, 11th Moon
A portion of proceeds from the event will benefit non-profit Goods for Good (www.goods4good.org), whose Tailor-in-Training program reroutes new and unused surplus fabric from the fashion industry to under-resourced vocational training programs in Malawi. This program utilizes thousands of meters of fabric that would have otherwise been destroyed to train young adults in the valuable skill of tailoring while simultaneously creating school uniforms for orphans.
To register for the event or for more information, visit:
About AFINGO: AFINGO.COM is the first online platform to merge social networking and fashion industry sourcing in a single, stylish, functional interface. A virtual showroom, essential news aggregator, and easy-to-use manufacturing resource, Afingo.com is an online community of designers, manufacturers, retailers, and consumers connecting and interacting in real-time. From sketchpad, to factory, to boutique rack, Afingo.com provides a unified platform as addictive as style itself. For more information on Aﬁngo please go to: www.afingo.com.
Back to November Events